Pages

Wednesday 17 September 2014

Mango Mushi-pan (Japanese Steamed Cake)


My kids like the steamed cake from Four Leaves and I have always wanted to replicate the cake. Looked around on the Web and Facebook and found that quite a number of people has already tried making the cake with success. Found the recipe from Bake for Happy Kids to be easy enough to follow and do not make a large quantity (which is great for me!) Saved it in my bucket list but never really got down to it...sigh

Cutting the story short, wanted to do something easy for the kids breakfast tomorrow. Because we did quite a bit of baking recently and with the recent bout of sickness, I wanted something less "heaty" and healthy as well. Also, the hub got me a new toy recently - a mini steamer. So the mushi-pan came to my mind!

Contemplated what flavour to do for them and finally decided to do Mango flavour as I have a bottle of Mango essence at home.

The kitchen smells great during the steaming and when done, the hub couldn't wait to try one.

Verdict - Fragrant, soft and moist. The hub gave a thumbs up and gave me a woeful look when I say there isn't anymore to spare. Haha!


These steamed cake are so yummy and so effortless to make. I did not use double-acting baking powder as stated in Zoe's recipe but it still works beautifully!

Thanks Zoe! This recipe works wonderfully for me! It's a keeper!

Here's the recipe...



Mango Mushi-pan (Japanese Steamed Cake) (Makes 2 large cakes or 4 small ones)
Adapted from Bake for Happy Kids

75g cake flour
25g sugar
2 tbsp milk ( I used soy milk)
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp mango essence
1 egg, 60g


Directions

Pre-heat a steamer filled with water.

If you are using a frying pan to steam, you will need to cover the lid with kitchen towel to prevent condensation from falling onto the steam cakes. For me, I am using an electric steamer so this step is skipped. Just on the power to pre-heat.

Lined 2 - 4 ramekins (depending on the size of cakes you are making) with cupcake liners.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk the egg, sugar, milk, mango essence and oil until well combined.


Sift in flour and baking powder and mix until batter is smooth.


Pour the mixture into the pre-lined ramekins and place them in the steamer and steam for approx 15 - 20 mins (depending on cake size) or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.


Turn off heat and move the cakes onto cooling racks.

Serve either hot or room temperature.



Hope you will enjoy these cakes as much as I did!




No comments:

Post a Comment